Friday, February 26, 2010

Get Motivated

One of our professors spoke to campus about her experience as an ultra marathoner,
specifically her 135 mile run through Death Valley.
135 miles. Running. through Death Valley.
Please take a second to wrap your mind around this.

I ran my first marathon this past fall and it was truly an amazing experience-physically, emotionally, and spiritually. But by mile 23 I was ready for a wheelchair, and during the last half mile, my vision was blurring and my hands were starting to tingle. I was in constant prayer, asking God for His legs and repeating a verse from Isaiah, "I will not grow weary."
That was 26.2 miles over flat Chicago land in nice cool weather.

She ran in 127 degree heat. Bread turned to toast right in her hands. She went through 6 pairs of shoes after the soles melted underneath her. She climbed a nearly 13,000 ft. rise in elevation.

No problem, right?

After 38 hours of running in these conditions, she crossed the finish line.
She titled her speech, "Get Motivated," and spoke of the physical and mental training required for such a feat. We were left stunned. It is truly amazing what the body and mind can do. Really, anyone could complete this task. You train physically, and you strengthen your mind. But to have the heart, (and slight insanity) to actually do such a thing is awe inspiring.

As she was describing her journey, I couldn't help but stare at the cross hanging on the wall above her head in the lecture hall. (Another reason why I love my school.)
To take on something like this without faith seems impossible. An ultra-marathon through Death Valley can be completed by anyone, yes, but not alone. He is the one that strengthens us, carrying us through each mile and opening our eyes to hardship in order to see the intense beauty surrounding us. I feel like an experience like that would change you forever, opening the door to a new level of living. A new high, a new strength, a new perspective and a new life.

Needless to say, I got motivated.
"We drench ourselves with the grace of exhaustion, and the ecstasy of knowing we are worthy to receive it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...