Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Big Fish

For my Disciplines of Movement class tomorrow, I have to perform an interpretation of a dream.

First of all, I am a second semester senior and I needed two simple credits to complete my semester requirements and graduate. I was told that this was a yoga/dance class. That was a true statement, but I thought the emphasis was more on yoga - I thought it would be great in addition to my triathlon training. I didn't realize that mixing yoga with dance would lead to...interpretive dance.

Now, I love dancing. I've talked about my love for dancing. But being evaluated on interpretive dance makes me extremely uncomfortable and awkward. I've always had a love for ballet, but anyone that knows me can vouch that I am not exactly graceful. After our first individual performance, my teacher even commented that I tried to put a comedic spin on my work.
No humor was intended.
No one clapped for me.
I was all clammy and sweaty, and my heart was beating through my butt. I was feeling abnormally self-conscious.
And no one even clapped! ...hilarious, yet extremely traumatizing.

Thankfully, I've moved on from that anxiety, and either my class has accepted my "comedic" dancing, or I've improved. So tomorrow, we're dancing our dreams. Dreams that are significant and a mystery to us.

So what is my dance, you ask?
I dream a lot. I love dreaming. But I'll have to save that for another post. I have a reoccurring dream that I come outside of my house and see my family down on the pier by the lake. It's a nice day out so I go to join them. When I reach them, I notice that the water is filled with fish. Not just regular little sunfish or bluegills, but ginormous fish. Fat and long and just HUGE! I'm horrified, and no one seems to understand. There are tons of them! I rarely remember the ending, but one time I actually fell in.

Imagine this in the form of interpretive dance.
I guess my teacher was right...my dancing is comedic, or just bizarre.
What are your reoccurring dreams? What would you dance?
Anyway, wish me luck! More importantly, wish me applause!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...