Thursday, September 13, 2012

white on wood


I was inspired by the lovely Nicole at Me Oh My! to create my own wooden wall art.  I spent months thinking about the perfect quote or set of lyrics, and I finally decided on an excerpt from Times by Tenth Avenue North, and I'm so happy with how it turned out!

Here's how I did it:

Step 1. Retrieve scrap wood from local hardware store.
Or your parents' garage :)
Step 2: Purchase stain in the shade of your preference. I went with the darkest shade I could find (right option), all others were too auburn for my taste.
Step 3: Use a paint brush or old rag to lightly brush stain onto wood surface. I felt I had more control by applying with the rag. I'd definitely recommend doing a trial run on the opposite side of the wood or on an additional piece of scrap wood. It can be tricky to distribute evenly!
Step 4: If necessary, wipe off the entire surface to even out the tone or clear excess stain. 
Let sit and dry for a few hours.
Step 5: Get ready to paint! I've seen so many cute color combinations, but I decided to stick with classic white for my first try.
Step 5: Use a ruler and pencil to map out your content and make sure your words are evenly spaced.
Step 6: Get painting! My brush was about 1 centimeter in width, which provided natural block letters.  Again, I'd recommend practicing on the other side of the wood or on scrap paper beforehand!
Step 7: Fill in and fix letters where necessary. 
Step 8: Let dry and hang. 
Wa Lah! 
(how do you spell that?!) 
This was surprisingly easy and is perfectly paired with James Morrison Pandora radio and red wine :)
I can't wait to do it again!
Be sure to let me know how it goes if you decide to try it.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...