Thursday, December 30, 2010

Flashbacks

Looking back on this past year I'm overwhelmed with the amount of blessings I've received. I'm at a point where I'm so happy it's almost frightening, I'm holding on to these blessings as if they'll be snatched away at any moment, but I know 2011 will too be filled with many wonderfuls, so it's time to move forward!
Since I was a lazy blogger throughout the year, I thought I'd reflect on the beautiful 2010.
Disclaimer: I just purchased the Premier Picnik package...and it shows, so bear with my overboard enthusiasm :)

2010: Final semester of college, topped off with a Spring Break finale in March. Hello Naples!
^We discovered a bar with a lobster-claw machine, like they do with stuffed animals. Its a little inhumane, but after finally catching a little guy most of our wallets were empty, and we had a new friend!

May: Two half marathons and not nearly enough training this time around. The first I ran entirely with my mom, the 2nd entirely with Michael - two hilarious and sometimes painful experiences I will never forget.

May: Michael entered the world of ultra-marathons after completing a 50 mile run in 11 hours! Yes, he is insane, but I still love him :) The weather was a mix of downpour, hail, and then blinding sun. Every time Michael emerged from the wooded trail it was as if he couldn't see two feet in front of him but he could see that finish line!

May: I graduated and became a big kid :)
and moved back home to find my dad on the hunt for muskrats. (really, dad?) My roomies (aka mom and dad) are always providing new adventures and entertainment and I'm so lucky that they're putting up with me again for so long!

June: We sent Corey, my older, hilariously goofy, compassionate and inspiringly brave sister off to Ecuador as she joined the Peace Corp. for 27 months away from home. I always wish she were with me, but we're so proud of what she's doing!

July: Triathlon-palooza began with my first two Sprint triathlons, and Michael's Half Ironman! I panicked during the swim of my first triathlon, after my second tri I learned that I was much faster that way. C'est la vie.

Ju;y: We woke up to find our favorite Sonny had passed away after only 8 years due to lymes disease. A month or so later we welcomed Marley into the family, aka Buddy.

August: I joined Michael's family for a trip through Colorado from Glenwood Springs to Aspen. Biking 50 miles, horseback riding, hiking, water rafting, beautiful scenery and company = Amazing vacation!

Just a week or so later Michael and I headed to San Diego to "house sit" for my aunt and uncle while they were away. Ten torturous days of turning on sprinklers, retrieving mail and feeding a cat...in addition to all the CA has to offer. At this point we reached Spoiled Brat status, we know.

September: the Ironman triathlon, round two for Michael. This time he was racing to honor his Papa Ray and Grandma Jo that had fallen to cancer in support of the amazing non profit, Gentle Waves. He has a mind like no other, and I couldn't be more proud of his will and determination!

October: Halloween in Madison with stinky skunks, lawn gnomes and Sandra D.

November: EMPLOYMENT! After months of applications, networking, and waitressing (obviously with a few vacas in between...why rush!?), I finally got a job and joined the real world! This picture is Exhibit A as to why a fashion blog is not in my future...self photos are awkward, and so am I :)

It has been a year of tremendous growth and change for me. A year ago I imagined myself in Africa doing non-profit work, (which sounds so insane right now!) and since then life has thrown beautiful curve balls that I wouldn't trade for anything. God works in crazy ways, and it's amazing how the plans can completely change but all of the main components are still present. It's been so exciting to see where this new transition takes us. Michael graduated, old friends are slowly moving back to the area, my new job is in full swing and I couldn't be more excited! Andd we shared family Christmases together for the first time, obviously providing yet another adventure!
2010 has been one of the best years of my life, and now we're off to a weekend in Chicago to welcome 2011 and start anew! I'm so thankful for all of the blessings, and being able to share them with you through my little blog. Thank you for staying with me through the year...now on to the next one!

-

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...